Experts Rubbish Ole Lenku’s remarks

Nairobi – Internal security secretary Joseph Ole Lenku’s assertion that the Mpeketoni attacks that have claimed 48 lives have political links has been castigated by Kenyans.

Ole Lenku made the assertions Monday during a Nairobi press conference in which he called on opposition leaders to stop causing rifts in the country.

” His history is a book Kenyans have seen and read and know. It is not me to say it because it is in the public domain of his political activities. Politicians are hereby warned to desist from inciting the public, he said in reference to CORD leader Raila Odinga’s call for national rallies.

He added that political incitement will be punished by the government even though he did not state what evidence he had on the former Prime Minister’s involvement in the attacks.

” I issued an ultimatum to the effect that there is a line beyond which nobody should cross. This red line has now been crossed, he added.

His remarks though were quickly shot down by security experts and Kenyans on social media, who insisted that the buck stops at Ole Lenku’s desk over the state of insecurity in the country.

Security experts especially were unforgiving over his remarks.

” Terming the attacks on innocent Kenyans politically instigated is wrong and off the mark. There has been a trend of terror attacks way before the political storm arose. The pattern is there and the threats, counter threats and warnings have been there, Isaac Onami, a Nairobi based security expert said.

” There is no basis to the accusation and especially not in relation to the Mpeketoni attacks, he added.

Willis Juma, a retired army major was also of the opinion that the attacks were nothing close to politically instigated.

” I think that it would be wrong to brandish blame on the opposition over something that is far from their fault. We all know the genesis of the attacks. It sounded lame and pointed towards lack of strategy, he said of Ole Lenku’s comments.

On social media, Kenyans were unforgiving, terming the politicization of the attacks saddening.

” The government is clueless, John Mwiria said on Facebook. They need to get to the bottom of this once and for all. Blaming politics is laughable, he said.

Ashley Karani on her part was also categorical that the government is to blame for the attacks, ” The president has yet to deal with the ones asleep as regards security. Ole Lenku, Karangi, Kimaiyo have nothing new to offer. After 48 Kenyans are deadd all Ole Lenku can do is blame Raila. God help us, she said on Facebook.

On the streets of Nairobi, Kenyans too were of the opinion that changes need to be made to the government’s security apparatus.

” Where is our intelligence. Where is the preparation? Time for the president to act. The likes of Ole Lenku have no space in government, Salim Odongo said.

It is understood that the attackers shot discriminately at people, sparing those that could speak in Somali or were Muslims and killing the Christians.

Like the gunmen who attacked the Westgate Mall last year, the Mpeketoni attackers gave life-or-death religious tests, killing those who were not Muslim.

Author Victor Tito

Up votes: 0 Down votes: 0
Experts Rubbish Ole Lenku’s remarks
1 vote, 5.00 avg. rating (86% score)